Monday, December 12, 2011

Kids Apron

I'm not sure why but I did a non-Christmas sewing in this hectic month of December! But I was looking for ways to use some of the fabric with animal picture and this idea of a apron with pocket just jump on me.

My girl loves baking. She always asked to bake cookies and such. It's a pity that I'm not much of a baker so we ended up always throwing away the cookies. The strange thing is, she always thinks that my cookies were the most delicious thing in the world and would devour them quickly! I'm blessed that she is such a sweet girl.

I'm not doing a tutorial here since it is simple and I didn't have time to document my steps as I'm trying to finish it within an hour or so.  


Basically, you cut a rectangle that fits around your kid to make the apron. As my cotton is quite see-through, I use 2 layers. Serged them together at the sides and use as 1 piece.  Fold in the bottom hem and sides. For the waist ties, I cut out 2 long pieces of the same fabric, fold into half lengthwise, Right side facing and sew up  the long side and turn it right side out. Top stitch around the 2 long sides.


Fold in the top of the apron to the wrong side.  The folded portion is about the same width as your waist ties.  Attach the waist ties at the 2 ends of the apron and topstitch the top of the waistband. Find the centre point of the apron and sew on the pocket.  I've iron on some interfacing on the pocket so that it'll not be too sloppy. 

The pocket is actually made up of 4 square panels that I cut out from a fabric panel that I bought from Fabric.com. Can't remember the name of the panel but the kittens and puppy look so cute against the blue background.



I think a matching chef hat will looks good with the apron too, don't you think?

No comments: