Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chevron Macaron

Yeh! I finally made my Macaron after getting the fit from my first muslin. It's a Chevron Macaron! Doesn't it rhymes?


I've used the chevron print (small) from Riley Blake for my Macaron. I actually bought it for making dresses for my girls but they are too cute and I stole them.


I love it that the print actually match at the side seams! I was quite worried at first that the chevron print may be a problem in matching the seams but it was ok. I underlined the bodice as it was quite thin and I feel that it could use some body. Anyway, the white cotton for the yoke was a bit sheer. It was a challenge to figure out how to line or underline the bodice but once I thought it through it was okay.

My size spread over 2 sizes so I did adjust the paper pattern to match the seams before cutting. (From the muslin, I realized that I can fit in for 4 at hip.) I love the sweet heart bodice, gives the impression that my chest is bigger!


I especially love the pockets that are so cleverly hidden by the pleats. I added the slit on the back yoke with button so that it's easier to slip in as the ease was quite little. Since the yoke was lined, I didn't know how to create a little slit so I just make the whole back yoke into 2 pieces and sew a fabric loop at the neckline for the button. The fit was great so the crease below was due to the way I stand.


The sleeves are very sweet and pretty too!  It actually makes my arm looks slimmer than it actually is! Bonus!


I was so proud of my dress that I almost wanted to show my face on the blog but I'm still not so comfortable to do so. At least, not for now.

Anyway, I've listed some changes that I made below so I can make reference for a 2nd Macaron which is very possible. I am thinking of adding a Peter pan collar will be nice.

1) slit at back yoke so I cut the back yoke into 2 pieces by adding 5/8" seam allowances to the seams.
2) underline the yoke, bodice and midriff. Skirt has lining.
3) Use size 2 for yoke and bodice, size 4 for midriff and skirt.
4) Lengthen skirt length to the Size 14 length.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the outstanding work!
My blog post : http://www.swimsuitsplanet.com/skirted-swimsuit.html