Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cozy Hoodie Jackets


It's been weeks since my last post in November and time really flies. Now, Christmas is approaching and I'm still lacking the inspiration to sew gifts. I've been searching through pinterest and the blogland for inspirations so hopefully I'll be able to sew them before Christmas!

Anyway, I've meant to share on these hoodie jackets that I've sewn for my girls some time ago. I bought the fleece with fancy print from spotlight. They are really thick and warm so I didn't line the hoodie.


My youngest's hoodie has interesting ric arc around the yoke and sleeves.  I've adapted the pattern from Ottobre Autumn 4/2012 issue for Magic Tale (page 32).  I love this issues with all the beautiful jackets and winter wear.  The girls love their new jackets and wear them to church since it is quite cold with the air con in full blast.

I really like the ric rac on the front yoke. So special and pretty.



I made the following adjustments:

1) Change the buttons to zipper since installing zipper is much faster than sewing button holes, imho. Also I've got this cream colored separating zipper that I got from Daiso for $2 that is just the nice length. I did use stay tape for the zipper placket edges on front panel to stablise the area before sewing the zipper.



2) Line the hood with another fleece cause I wanted to hide the raw edge when the hoodie is off her head.  The star fleece print is from her sister's hoodie.


3) Added Kangaroo pockets cause I prefer jackets with pockets.  I copied the pocket template from another design "Roxy Royal" in the same magazine.


4) I remove the elastic on the sleeves but added a row of ric rac on the sleeves.


For my older girl, I use the pattern on page 43 "Roxy Royal".  The fleece is also from Spotlight but its grey with black star. She picked out the fabric and I got the separating zipper from Daiso for $2 that is more or less the required length.


Here's how it looks hand up.


I also line the hoodie with another fleece from her sister's jacket so she has rabbit hidden in her hood!


She didn't like the kangaroo pocket, so I use the pocket template from another design from the magazine (see how useful this issue is? I can change the design elements from the different designs!) "Young Hero" on page 36.  Except that I didn't insert the pocket zipper but use it as a welt pockets.


This is the first time I've sewn a welt pocket so it is a bit uneven but I'm still immensely happy with the results. I also remove the elastic for the sleeves.  See how the sleeve goes nicely into the pocket?


See the jackets in action here!


I think I'm more confident now to sew one up for myself : )

No comments: