Monday, January 28, 2013

Vintage Skirt

I've been subscribing to Ottobre Kids magazines for some time and I really love the design and small details on each piece. The colorful spread and photography really makes everything looks so put together.  I love the kids fashion on knits and they even offer boys clothes too. 

For first time user, you may need adjustment since the instruction in the magazine is quite minimal with no step by step photos or diagrams and patterns pieces are drawn on top of each other in different color codes and sizes.  Your eyes will likely cross when you try to trace it but since I'm familiar with japanese sewing book, it is still manageable for me.

I've made a dress and 2 jackets for my girls.  Love how they turned out. 

Recently, I ordered a back issue Summer 3/2009 and made up a vintage skirt for my girl.  The pattern is called 'Velma' vintage skirt.


For my recently turned 3 year old, I made a size 98. It was quite true to size. The skirt has 2 square pockets in front, a waistband and ric rac details on the pocket bands and skirt hem.


I used the vintage print fabric that I've on hand. Do you recognize this from my earlier project on pocket skirt?  With this busy print, it's a bit hard to see the details.



I've learnt a new technique to sew the pocket band on the pocket which hide the ugly seams.


I fail in matching print cause the waistband has the apple facing down : ( . I've use the front as inside without realizing it until i've serged the seams.


Added the Apple button. The recommendation is invisible zipper but I didn't have one so I just use a normal zipper and attach with lapped zipper method.




No comments: