My youngest is crazy over Miss McStuffin and all things Doctor. So, when her Childcare has an Occupation Day, she decided that she wants to be a Doctor.
I couldn't find a sewing patterns for a doctor robe so I had to improved. Using the Chef pattern (No. 17) from Ottobre 1/2013 and the collar piece from Ottobre 3/2010 (Vest No. 22), I made this little Doctor robe. As the original pattern was a chef jacket, I lengthen it to 146 size but use the 104 size for my almost 4 year old. Took out the overlap double button plackets and left it buttonless since I don't think she will button up. Less work to sew all the rows of buttons!
I added 2 big pockets (5" squares) to the front for her to keep her doctor's kit. Seems like Doc McStuffin can also fits in!
The robe has front facing, also adjusted to the new neckline but no back facing. I bind the raw edges on the neckline with grosgrain ribbon. The rest of the edges are finished with my serger.
The new collar means I've to redraft the neckline to suit the collar shape so I just trace the collar edge over the neckline and create a new collar with a V shape neckline.
I also use the satin stitch on my machine to stitch her name, just like a real doctor. She was comparing this with Doc McStuffin and said 'not same. no name tag!'
Added the button tab behind the robe.
|The only back view I got|
That's it. All in a night worth of sewing and she is off to her school as Dr R. Have a good time baby!
|Dr R is ready to go!|
|Time for your checkup Miss McStuffin!|