Friday, November 1, 2013

Velour Tunic (Ottobre 6/2012)


Another sewing from Ottobre.  I really love Ottobre!

This is a tunic using stretch poly/cotton velour in purple that I got from Fabric.com.  For $3.99 a yard, it was a steal! I used the Aamurusko Velour tunic from Ottobre 6/2012 design at size 104 for my 3 year old.


My fabric is not wide enough so I cut my back bodice not on fold and add 1cm seam allowance.


When I first saw this tunic, I love the ruffle front layers. The pattern suggested using knit of the same color tone but I decided to use the same velour fabric so it frays a little and I had to treat the seams.  I was lazy and used small zig zag stitch on my sewing machine but the result is not ideal. So went back to my serger (thread the serger with matching threads) and this time, the result is much better!


The neckline is bind with the same fabric so it was really thick. Had to go slow. I used stretch stitch on my machine for the sewing.  I also used my serger for the tunic hem so that I don't have to worry about wonky hems.


I also love the long sleeve hems. The technique here to gather the sleeves with elastic and attach the hem band is interesting. It give a gentle gathers with the need to manually adjust the gathers.


The waist is also gather in the same way. So much easier.


There! I just love how the tunic looks.  The velour does shed a lot so having a serger is really handy but it is not necessary. You can also use zig zag to finish the seams.




No comments: